Dogs and children are both always learning and curious. There are several things to consider when dogs and children will be together for any amount of time.
- A responsible adult should always supervise the dog and child interactions.
- Never leave a baby or young child alone with any breed of dog.
- Always ask an owner’s permission before allowing your child to interact with a non-family dog.
- Don’t allow your dog to steal snacks from children.
- Children should never bother a dog during meal times or while sleeping.
- Teach children to never approach an unknown dog. This is important if the dog is either behind a fence, tied to a chain or rope, or in a parked car.
Source: The Original Dog Bible, 2nd edition